Monday, October 6, 2008

Mrchgrl's have more fun!


Sometimes I like to do fun random stuff, one of the things I love the most is hanging out with my besties doing horror/zombie related stuff!

This past weekend we participated in Toronto’s Scotiabank Nuit Blanche event which takes place all across the city from sun set to sun rise! It is basically a bunch of art installations put together to be viewed by the public en masse and a great reason to get out in the city before it starts to get freezing cold!

 


Me and my two girls as Zombies during Nuit Blanche! I kinda look like the joker! Creepy!
Vanessa, Me, Ashley

The installation we participated in is called Zombies in Condoland and was put together by zombie-enthusiast and photographer Jillian McDonald from NYC,NY. The piece is basically a zombie movie-set, where they are actually filming both volunteer actors (us) and other zombie folk in an indie zombie flick. Everybody comes dressed as zombie characters and they roam around the park below grand condos searching for brains and blood and spleens and they are filmed. The piece is also a metaphor for the way people make their way to large cities and buy up condos in a zombie-like manner. Basically a comment on consumerist culture. 

I decided to go dressed as a 1980’s Michael Jackson “Thriller” zombie and I had a freaking blast! I loved being able to roam through the HUGE crowds in a zombie-like state and scare people and have a ton of fun! I did quite a few interviews with TV stations and Radio and Magazines (My friends and I were even featured in the Toronto Star – except they said I was 27! BOO! I’m 22!) and just had a wildly fun night! We zombie-d until about 1:30am and finally after literally painful dredging around for more than six hours and moaning and groaning I was free from my undead state to roam the streets and visit a few more installations.



Me in my "Thriller" Zombie gear! Whenever I gathered a huge crowd around me, I would start dancing the thriller dance, it was pretty funny! -- My concept was that I had died from being trampled by the other dancers during filming for the video, naturally because I was better than them and they were jealous! Hahaha.


Unfortunately, I was pretty exhausted so I didn’t see a bunch of other pieces, but I did stop by a few and from what I saw they were all pretty awesome. I wish I wasn’t so tired and I could have seen more! 


Anyways, I hope if you live in Toronto that you managed to see some of Nuit Blanche because we really are lucky to have an event like that, it’s free and full of culture and amazing-ness! Now I have to get back to the crazy-ness that is Indie Week! Don’t  forget! It launches on WEDNESDAY at Tattoo Rock Parlor on Queen St. W and I had BETTER see you there! 

No comments: